01 09 10

search you little tarte

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vanilla Update



Before... September, 2011
A few months back I began the process of making my own vanilla (YLT 9/12/11).  What I really liked about this particular project was that it required almost no effort.  After submerging the vanilla beans in vodka, all I had to do was wait.

And wait.

And wait some more.

But now, four months into my project, the vodka is starting to actually resemble vanilla.  It looks like vanilla and it smells like vanilla.  A little taste test reveals that it's actually starting to taste like vanilla.  It still has a little way to go, but I'm on the road to having a quart of homemade vanilla.  This is thrilling.

From all that I have read, homemade vanilla is a lot like a sourdough starter.  You can keep it going forever.  I think I'll use a little for myself, give some away to a couple of my baking friends, and then "feed" my vanilla "starter".  Who knows, maybe I could start a little cottage industry with my artisan vanilla.  Well... maybe not.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of The Great Vanilla Experiment.  You just never know where this might lead.
During... January, 2012

1 comment: