01 09 10

search you little tarte

Monday, January 16, 2012

Not Everything Works

This afternoon I thought I would make some oatmeal raisin cookies.  I love oatmeal raisin cookies.  My family does not.  But you know what?  Sometimes I get to make the kind of cookies I like and I like oatmeal cookies.

The truth is that I'm not exactly sure what went wrong with my cookies but the end result was not a batch of chewy oatmeal cookies.  Instead what I ended up with were somewhat gooey and crumbly (yes, they were both gooey and crumbly) cookies.  I think it might have been that I used the oats I had in the house, which were not Quaker Old Fashioned Oats.  Instead I used Mc Cann's five minute oats.  Who knew the oats would make a difference?

Actually, I probably should have known but I got swept up in making oatmeal cookies.  Ingredients, and using the right ones, really matter, especially in baking.  If you don't use the right kind of oats in oatmeal cookies you get gooey and crumbly not crispy on the outside and chewy on the side.

Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment