01 09 10

search you little tarte

Monday, January 2, 2012

Emily's Magical Brisket

My friend Emily knows of what she speaks.  She is a wonderful cook so when she told me that I had to make brisket her way I knew I had to listen.

Emily's brisket is absolutely delicious.  It's not a "potchkey" dish, as my mother would have said.  It requires just a couple of ingredients and a couple of hours.  The results are meltingly tender and delicious.  Served with curly egg noodles (also Emily's suggestion), this is the perfect dinner for a cold winter night.

I like this brisket because it's comforting and kind of old fashioned.  No fancy techniques or ingredients.  It's just what brisket should be.

Recipe:  Emily's Magical Brisket


Ingredients:


1 brisket of beef, whatever size you want
3 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 Spanish onions
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic powder
A little vegetable oil

Directions:


Season both sides of the brisket liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Set aside.

In a food processor or blender, combine the tomato sauce and onions and process until smooth.

Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven.  Sear the meat well on both sides.  Add the tomato sauce and onion mixture and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for three hours or until the meat is very tender when pierced with a fork.

Refrigerate the meat in the sauce overnight.  When you are ready to serve, slice the meat against the grain and return to the pot with the sauce.  Heat over a low heat until hot.

Serve with curly egg noodles.

3 comments:

  1. Looks heavenly...perfect with curly egg noodles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest one minor revision - slice the meat and put it in the sauce before it is refrigerated - it soaks up the flavor better - then reheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am pretty much sure that this recipe is delightful! I enjoy making this cuisine and it really made me satisfied. More so, this considered one of my favorite dishes! I also love “All-American Chocolate Cake”, “Beef Fillet with Red Wine” and “ Pigeon with Wild Fountain Cress”. I discovered all of these at www.gourmetrecipe.com and www.gourmandia.com. Try to visit those sites and explore your new favorite dishes. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete