01 09 10

search you little tarte

Monday, January 30, 2012

Almost as Good as New Shoes


Well, not quite but I needed a hook.  There is nothing quite as much fun as a new pair of shoes though.  Preferably a pair that, never in your wildest dreams, did you think you needed until you saw them.  A pair of shoes that you can envision wearing with everything.  The perfect shoes.  That is, until the next pair of perfect wear with everything shoes comes along.
Last weekend, while killing time between tennis matches, Kate and I went to Barnes and Noble.  This was exciting for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it was thrilling because it was something to do that did not involve a meal.  Or a snack.  Or a drink.  But, more importantly, going to Barnes and Noble was exciting because this was an actual bookstore, not an online bookstore or the book department at Target or Costco.  This was a real live bookstore with more than just bestsellers lined up on a couple of shelves.

It makes me so sad that there aren't very many bookstores anymore.  I find it very difficult to browse on Amazon.  I always feel like I need to have some idea of what I'm looking for before I start.  Actual bookstores are different.  Everything is right there, just waiting to be examined.


As I was browsing, I came across a number of cookbooks that looked appealing.  I showed some self control and came away with just two:  Sunday Roasts by Betty Rosbottom and The French Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone.  I was already a fan of Michele Scicolone's The Italian Slow Cooker so how could I go wrong?
There was a bonus to this little bookstore trip.  Not only did I pick up a couple of cookbooks which will provide me with lots of material for future posts.   These new books gave me some much needed reading material for the rest of the tennis tournament.  No quite as exciting as new shoes, but not too bad either.

Tomorrow:  Old Fashioned Pot Roast and Vegetables with Extra Rich Pan Gravy from Sunday Roasts by Betty Rosbottom.





No comments:

Post a Comment