01 09 10

search you little tarte

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Kate In the Kitchen

Kate with her Nutella Hot Chocolate

Kate does not normally cook.  Why does she need to?  She has a mother who can whip up a batch of cookies in minutes, and who serves a dinner worthy of guests every night.  Kate is an excellent diner, but a cook she is not.

All of this explains why I quake in fear every time she suggests "making something".  All I can envision are the hours of cleanup from scalded milk, splattered red sauce, or slimy grease.  It's not that Kate doesn't clean up, it's just that she doesn't do it well.  She does, however, get points for trying.

Kate is completely addicted to all things online.  Recently she has become a huge (and when I say huge, that is an understatement) fan of Pinterest Food.  She has often shown me pictures of food that she thinks I should make.  I, myself, am a little dubious of getting my recipes from a social networking site, but hey, I'm a with it kind of gal, so I try and keep an open mind.

So, this evening as we were finishing up  dinner, Kate announced that she was headed into the kitchen to make Serendipity's Frozen Hot Chocolate.  She read me the recipe from Pinterest and I nearly fainted.  She would be chopping chocolate, crushing ice, and generally creating bedlam in my kitchen.  No, Frozen Hot Chocolate was simply not an option this evening.

Kate was disappointed but rebounded quickly with another recipe.  "How about Nutella Hot Chocolate?" she asked.

"Hum...", I said.  "What's the recipe say?"

Well, it turns out that this was a recipe we could both embrace: milk and Nutella.

"Sure, go for it", I said.

And she did.  And it was delicious. And there was no mess.

If only everything was settled so easily.

Recipe:  Nutella Hot Chocolate
(Adapted by Kate)

*Note:  Kate is a Nutella nut so she increased the original 2 teaspoons of Nutella to a "giant blob" of Nutella.  

Ingredients:

8 ounces milk
A "giant blob" of Nutella (approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons)

Directions:

Combine milk and Nutella in a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edges.

Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment