01 09 10

search you little tarte

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Apple Dandy


Sometimes when Ted goes to the farm stand, he gets a little overexcited and buys a little too much.  I have to admit that, I too, fall into the trap, but never to the extend that Ted does.

Ted's most recent trip to the farm stand rewarded us with pumpkins, gourds, apple cider, and too many apples to count.  The pumpkins are on the front porch (soaking wet and not quite where we left them, compliments of Sandy), the gourds are in a nice basket on the dining room table, and the apples...  Well, the apples are... everywhere.

We started out strong, working our way through all the apples.  I was enthusiastic about having an apple or two a day, as were Ted and Kate.  But soon we grew tired of the apples and they began to get a little mealy.  Then they sat.  And sat.  And then they started to lose their shine.

In apple parlance, this is bad.

And then I went to Whole Foods the other day and they had Honey Crisps, which were so seductive because I thought they were done for the season.  So I bought a couple.  Those new shiny apples made the old ones look even less appetizing.

But being the thrifty gal I am, I decided that the old apples shouldn't go to waste.  You know the classic line: When life gives you old apples, make applesauce.

I used to make Ina Garten's applesauce, but let's face it, no one needs to put butter in their applesauce.  This is true even if it's the most delicious, rich, divine applesauce known to man.  I was feeling spunky, so I decided to throw together my own, not quite unsweetened, homemade applesauce.

Recipe:  Homemade Applesauce

Ingredients:

5 pounds (give or take) mixed apples, peeled, cored, and chunked
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
Pinch of nutmeg
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven.  Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until apples are very soft.

Remove from oven and, using a whisk, stir the applesauce until it reaches the consistency you want.  I like mine chunky.  Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment