01 09 10

search you little tarte

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Really Simple Arroz con Pollo

Somehow I've ended up on about 10,000 daily RSS feed email lists.  Honestly, I can't recall signing up for even one but I guess I did.  They didn't find me on their own.  The problem is that I never actually get around to opening and reading most of them.  Needless to say, my trash file runneth over.  I know that I could "unsubscribe" myself from these daily emails but what if I missed out on something good?  You just never know where the next great recipe if going to come from.  So, I continue wading through my inbox in search of something great.

The other day I opened the Real Simple email and came across this recipe for Arroz con Pollo with Apples.  It sounded vaguely interesting so I thought I'd give it a try.

The recipe lived up to the "Real Simple" mantra.  It was really simple.  Simple is always a bonus as far as I'm concerned.  There was some chopping involved but nothing too laborious.  And some sauteeing.  Again, no big deal.  And I have to tell you, the end result was pretty tasty.  The addition of the apples to the rice and veggies was nice and added a nice tartness to the dish.

This was certainly something that I would make again for a weeknight dinner and aren't we all always looking for something quick and easy to make after a busy day?

So... a really simple weeknight dinner.  Now if I could just figure out a really simple way of wading through all the emails and culling out the worthwhile ones without devoting my life to it.  Now that would be a real simple solution.

Recipe:  Arroz con Pollo with Apples
(Real Simple.com)

Ingredients:



2 large tart unpeeled apples, such as Granny Smith
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup long-grain converted rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped


Directions:

Quarter, core, and slice the apples into 1/4-inch-thick pieces; set aside.


Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside, leaving the oil in the pan.


Add the green pepper, yellow pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir well and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and apples to the pan. Cook 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the paprika and red pepper.


Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, arrange the chicken on top of the rice mixture, and cover. Cook about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment