01 09 10

search you little tarte

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cookie Monster

Alice Medrich's Chocolate Espresso Cookies

A few weeks back I mentioned that I was going to try and expand my cookie universe.  I have been stuck in a chocolate chip cookie rut for so long that I've practically forgotten about all the other delicious cookies out there just waiting to be baked and enjoyed.

Of course, like most things, it seemed like a good idea at the time, this cookie expansion project.   I made cookies a week or two ago and what kind did I make?  Peanut butter?   Oatmeal?   No.  I made the same old chocolate chip cookies.  It's not that they're not delicious but I was supposed to be widening my horizons.

Well, yesterday I did.  I pulled out one of my favorite Alice Medrich cookbooks and made the most delicious chocolate espresso cookies.  These cookies are a decidedly more sophisticated cookie that your average chocolate chipper so beware.  The chocolate, which is a combination of unsweetened and bittersweet, produces a very intense flavor and instead of the walnut pieces called for in the recipe, I used toasted sliced almonds which gave the cookies a nice crunchiness.  There is a bit of chopped chocolate folded into the batter, but these are definitely not a chippy cookie.

What I really loved about these cookies was the coffee flavor.  While I doubt that 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant espresso can pack a serious caffeine punch, these cookies  did provide that nice feeling of having a cup of coffee after dinner.  This was a good thing.  By the time I finished making them it was getting late and I needed a little help staying awake to clean up.

Recipe:  Chocolate Espresso Cookies
(Adapted from Chewy, Gooey, Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth-Cookies by Alice Medrich, 2010)

*  Note:  I used sliced toasted almonds but the original recipe called for the same amount of chopped walnuts.  I also used 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder instead of the same amount of finely ground coffee.  


Ingredients:



10 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped – 6 oz for melting and 4 oz to be folded into the batter.
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)

Directions:

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate together. This can be done one of two ways. First in 10 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each interval until smooth. Or, fill a pot with a couple of inches of water. Find a heat proof bowl that will sit on top of the pot without the bottom touching the water. Bring the water to a simmer and place the butter and chocolate in the bowl. Stir until the butter and chocolate are melted.

Beat together eggs, sugar, coffee, and vanilla until pale. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and then add the flour, the extra chopped chocolate and the nuts, if using. Refridgerate for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line with parchment paper or grease 2 cookie sheets. Drop the dough in heaping tablespoons, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are cracked. Rotate the pans half at about 5 minutes to ensure even baking. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to metal racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment