01 09 10

search you little tarte

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Retro Tomato Soup

My dad's favorite food was Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup.  He always seemed genuinely pleased when  that was on the menu at our house.  It was also one of the few things he could actually cook and he made it with milk so he thought it was pretty gourmet.  He could also make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Besides that, I cannot remember him ever cooking.

But getting back to the soup.  I loved Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup as well.  I haven't had it in years but I must admit that I have a couple of cans in the pantry because my kids love it.  It must still be pretty good.  I think I need to try it again.

In more recent years I have started making my own tomato soup.  Usually I like to make it with roasted fresh tomatoes but these are unusual times.  It's the Tomato Bowl, which is ending on Sunday, so canned tomatoes have become my new best friend.  So, I thought to myself, why not try and make a rich tomato soup with canned tomatoes.

I culled a bunch of recipes together to see what others before me had done.  Giada used pancetta and mascarpone cheese, but does she ever make anything that doesn't have pancetta and mascarpone cheese in it?  Rachael Ray muddied the waters with too many chunky vegetables.  I was going for "retro" tomato soup.  Smooth and creamy, with just a little tang and perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich.  This called for some creativity on my part.

What emerged was a rich, creamy tomato soup that was tasty and comforting.  With some fresh herbs or a couple of croutons on top, I'd say my retro tomato soup was a score for Sunday's game!

Recipe:  You Little Tarte's Cream of Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

1 (28 ounce) can Red Pack crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup heavy cream
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Saute the onions, until softened, about 5 minutes and then add the garlic.  Saute for 1 minute.  Add the tomato paste and saute with the vegetables until it is melted, about 2 minutes.  Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the cream and correct seasonings.  Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, simple is best, Nadine. And, when it comes to tomato soup, I'm with you. Parked right next to a grilled cheese sandwich and really, who could ask for anything more:)

    You did GREAT! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! vietnamese food to eat

    ReplyDelete