01 09 10

search you little tarte

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Somewhere Over the Rainbow


Several months ago, I was in Free People buying something for Kate.  For those of you with teenage daughters, I trust you are all too familiar with Free People.  For those of you who are not, I can best describe their particular look as boho very expensive.  Where else can you buy a vest that looks like it was left over from 1970 and then was stored in a paper bag in a dusty attic?

But I digress.  As I was whipping out my trusty credit card, I noticed these absolutely adorable rainbow Rice Krispies treats in a little basket on the counter.  Shockingly enough, these were not left over from 1970, nor did they have have a price tag attached thereto.  Instead, they were a little treat provided by one of the very chic girls who worked at the store.  (I might add that she must have weighed in at 72 pounds, so I doubt she was doing too much snacking on said rainbow treats.)


Anyway, they were so cute that I decided to make them myself.  (I must also note that I absolutely love Rice Krispies Treats.  Yes, I am probably the only person over about 20 who loves them, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.)  Of course, given my somewhat advanced age, I promptly forgot all about the rainbow treats until yesterday when I was cleaning out my pantry.  I must have thought I was actually going to make these, because why else would I have a bag of mini marshmallows and a large box of Rice Krispies?

A quick review of the internet led me to several recipes for said rainbow Rice Krispies treats.  I played around with a few and this is what I came up with.

I wish I could say that I haven't been in Free People since I bought the marshmallows to make these bars but alas, Kate gets their catalogue.  Needless to say, my daughter is kind enough to the mark things she likes with little Post-it notes.




Recipe:  Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats

*  Make sure to really press the Rice Krispie mixture into the pan.  I used an offset spatula, but you can also use a piece of waxed paper

*   One other thing...  You'll be the star of the show if you send these off to school with your kids.  Kate even "pinned" them on her Pinterest.  Needless to say, everyone at school was very happy to find that they were as delicious as they were cute.

Ingredients:

7 cups Rice Krispies
7 cups miniature marshmallows
7 tablespoons butter, but into 1 tablespoon pieces
Food coloring (I used Wilton gel)

Directions:

Line an 8x8 square pan with plastic wrap.  Leave enough overhang so that you can easily lift the finished Rice Krispies Treat out of the pan easily.

In a microwavable bowl,  melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 cup mini marshmallows for 45 seconds.  Add 1 cup Rice Krispies and enough purple food coloring to color the mixture a vivid purple.  Transfer the mixture from the bowl into the prepared pan.  Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan, making sure to fill in the corners. Wash the bowl.

Repeat the previous step, only this time add blue food coloring instead.  Press the mixture into the pan on top of the purple layer.

Repeat 5 more times, changing the food coloring color to green, yellow, orange, red, and finally purple.  You will have 7 layers in total.

Let cool for an hour or two, until the Rice Krispies Treat is dry to the touch.  Cut into equal sized squares and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment