01 09 10

search you little tarte

Monday, September 3, 2012

Red, White, and Blueberries


I love a good muffin.  I know, I know.  A muffin is really just cake, and as such is probably on the verboten list for many of my readers.  But come on girls (and men, if you're out there).  Live a little.  At least it's not a giant slab of chocolate cake served at breakfast, (although I can't say that that doesn't have it's appeal).

And, just to be clear, I am not a fan of those mega-muffins sold in bakeries and at Starbucks.  That's not the kind of muffin I'm advocating here.  I'm talking about a nice little muffin, made in a standard size muffin tin.  The kind of muffin where the little muffin paper is filled about 2/3 of the way full so that it puffs up just so.  My kind of muffin is just a few bites, not a meal... for a family... of four.

Back when I first started You Little Tarte, I shared my friend Mona's recipe for quick and easy muffins.  I use this recipe as a basis for many kinds of muffins because it's pretty much foolproof.  Over the years, I've mixed in all kinds of things -- fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, zest, and a host of other yummy things.  I've added glaze to the tops of the muffins as well as my all time favorite topping, streusel.  Like I said, this is a work horse of a recipe.

I have to admit that I made this version sometime ago.  In fact, I can tell you exactly when I made it: the Fourth of July.  This explains the red, white and blueberry theme.  I took the pictures, but as you know I was a lazy mess over the summer, so I never got around to posting a blog extolling their virtues.


I figured that since today was Labor Day, I could pull out the red, white and blueberry theme.  It applies, don't you think?  And while these are in fact muffins (or cake in a muffin format), they are delicious and a really nice

Recipe:  Mona's Muffins with a Red, White, and Blueberry Twist

Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup blueberries
1/3 cup raspberries
1/3 cup blackberries
1 tablespoon Demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 400.  Sift dry ingredients together.  In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.  Add wet to dry and stir until just combined.  Add berries and mix carefully so as not damage the fruit.  Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full and sprinkle tops with Denerara sugar.  Bake 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Makes 9 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment