01 09 10

search you little tarte

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Go Big or Go Home

Part of the finished product.  So organized... It won't last for long.
I never do anything halfway.  I often intend to, but it never turns out that way. Sometimes I'll just say to myself "Self... Just get this done.  It doesn't matter if it's not perfect."  But then I get swept up in my own mishagosh, and before I know it, the simplest thing has turned into a major project.

Thus is the story of my closet.

I live in a very old house with the worst closet space you have ever seen.  Poor Ted has his clothes spread over three different closet on the second floor, only one of which is actually in our bedroom.  My closet is actually a room on our third floor that we've converted into, what I have to say is, a great closet.  But it's on the third floor and our bedroom is on the second floor.  Enough about that.

In any case, since my closet/room is somewhat out of the way, it had become a bit of a repository for stuff that ended up on the third floor that we didn't quite know what to do with.  Like the broken elliptical.  And a file cabinet.

Don't ask.

Anyway, a month or two ago, I decided to get rid of all that crap that didn't belong in my closet.  It was liberating.  It was fun.  It revealed that my closet really needed to be painted.
Look at all those nice matching shoe and storage boxes.

There's even a place to sit and put on my shoes.

Typical of me, I decided that maybe I should have the closet wallpapered instead of painting.  Wouldn't that be fun?  It could be my own personal space, my little sanctuary, a place where no one would bother me.

Ha Ha Ha.

Twenty wallpaper samples and two wallpaper hangers later, it became apparent that there wasn't a square corner in the room and that wallpapering said room would be more trouble and money that it was worth.

Quick regroup.

I decided to have my closet painted.  Pink.  Just in case you were wondering, there are a lot of different pinks out there.  I won't go into the story of how we got to the pink the closet ended up to be.  It looks pretty and that's all that matters.  The fact that my painter nearly had a seizure is a story for another day.

But here's the thing.  I'll bet you never really take stock of all the stuff you have.  I know I didn't.  That is, until I had to take everything out of my closet.  And I mean everything.  Every last shoe, every last item of clothing, every last everything.

And boy did I have a lot of stuff.  A lot of stuff I never wear, nor will I ever wear again.  And you know what I did with all that stuff?  I didn't put it back in the closet!  No, I actually boxed it up... and gave it to charity.

Now that's going big.

1 comment:

  1. We used to live in a Victorian that was over 100 years old. There was minimal closet and storage space. It got me into the habit of re-organizing my clothes at the beginning of every season. Whatever I hadn't worn during say, Spring, got put in the box for charity when the closets were organized for the Summer.
    Your makeover looks great! It does feel wonderful when it's all completed doesn't it!
    I can only imagine what those who built and lived in these old houses would think today if they could see the size of the closets and bathrooms that are being built in homes today. Pretty sure they'd think it was wasted living space ;)

    ReplyDelete