01 09 10

search you little tarte

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Living for the Weekend

Tomorrow is Wednesday and you know what that means.  It's hump day.  I have to admit that since I stopped earning a paycheck, the whole concept of hump day has lost a little of its zip.  Back when I was a "working girl", I lived for the weekends no matter how stimulating I found my job to be.  Weekends meant sleeping later and having a little down time.

Things changed once we had kids but the weekends were still special, maybe more so than before.  They were just different.  Busier.  More hectic.  All in a good way, of course.


Now that my office is my kitchen and my staff consists of Pebbles, our English Bulldog, things are a little different.  There are no days off for good behavior.  Actually there are no days off, period.

But I still love weekends if for no other reason than I can make a more leisurely breakfast.  Breakfast is my favorite meal.  We used to go out for breakfast all the time but at some point I decided that I could make anything made in a restaurant better than they did.  Thus began a whole new food category for me.

One of my favorite things to make for breakfast is an omelet.  For years, all I made was scrambled eggs because I was completely intimidated by the idea of flipping an omelet.  At one point, I think I may have had one of those fold-over omelet pans but those don't work nearly as well as actually flipping the omelet over so I decided to take the plunge and learn how to do it.

This project was not without its casualties.  At the beginning, there were a lot of omelets flipped from the pan onto the floor.  There were the omelets that ended up looking scrambled too.  Let's just say that Rome wasn't built in a day.

But over time I got better at it.  There's a simple key to success when it comes to flipping an omelet.  You have to own it.  Just go for it and have confidence that you can do it.  Do not hesitate.  He who hesitates ends up with eggs on the floor!

If you would like some further instruction on flipping omelets, take a look at this video.  It's a little hokey but it's helpful too.  How to Flip an Omelet.

Recipe:  Omelet with Fresh Herbs
(Adapted from Terry Harwood)

Ingredients:





2 1/2 tablespoons assorted chopped herbs (flat leaf parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil or whatever you like)

2 extra-large eggs

2 tablespoons milk
Pinch kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces plain goat cheese


Directions:


Break the eggs into a small bowl, and then add the milk, 2 tablespoons mixed herbs, salt and pepper and whisk with a fork.



Preheat an 8-inch nonstick saute pan over medium hot heat and swirl the olive oil into the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and swirl it in the pan. For a few seconds, gently stir the egg mixture with a heat resistant rubber spatula (as if you were going to make scrambled eggs) and then swirl the eggs in the pan to make a nice round appearance. Reduce the heat to avoid any color or scorching. Continue cooking for about 1 minute. The eggs will be set on the bottom, but slightly liquid on top.


Flip the omelet, and remove it from the heat. Crumble the goat cheese over the center of the omelet.  Tri-fold the omelet (or fold it in half, which is a little easier) and plate immediately.


Sprinkle remaining herbs on top of omelet and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment