01 09 10

search you little tarte

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

I am a sweet and salty girl.  I like both and if they're together in the same food, so much the better.  That's why I've had to outlaw all chocolate covered pretzels from my house.  I have no self control, and they may well qualify as my favorite food.  Ever.  I'm not kidding.  Just to be fair, I have also had to outlaw all Goldfish crackers from my house too.  I love them and "55 crackers" does not a serving make.

For me, it's the crunch factor that really defines perfection.  That's why the chocolate pretzels are so perfect.  They have the creaminess of the chocolate, and the saltiness and crunch of the pretzel.  Need I say more?

So, the other day as I was cruising through my neighborhood Giant Eagle, I was hit with inspiration.  Why not make a cookie that included not only the sweet factor but the salty crunch factor as well.  Before I knew it, I was in the snack aisle loading my cart with all my favorite and previously verboten crunchy treats.

A couple of years ago I tried a recipe for Compost Cookies.  The instructions were very complicated and the outcome was disappointing.  I've sort of blocked the whole experience out of my mind but I do recall gooey, spread out cookies and a waste basket.  Needless to say, I was not excited about trying those again. But, despite my less than favorable experience, I really liked the "idea" of that cookie.

Armed with more snack food than I care to admit to, I set to work.  I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and played around.  I added pretzels and peanuts.  Then I tried the recipe again and added Goldfish and chocolate chips.  A couple of tries and way too much taste testing later, I think I've hit upon a winning combination of sweet and salty. A who's who of carnival snacks -- a combination of chocolate chips, kettle chips, pretzels, and peanuts.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can add your own favorites.  Don't feel like this recipe is set in stone.  In fact, it would really make me happy if you came up with with your own cookie.  If it's really yummy, shoot me an email and let me know what you added.  Be bold.  And, it's a good way to clean out the kitchen cabinets.

Recipe:  Kitchen Sink Cookies


Ingredients:


2-1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sweet snacks (chocolate chips, Raisinettes, shredded coconut, M&M's, dried fruit)
1 cup salty snacks (mini pretzels, Goldfish crackers, potato chips)
1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts (or other nut of your choice)

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 325F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine your salty snacks.  Using your hands, lightly break up the individual pieces. Don't make the pieces too small.  You'll want to be able to see them in the cookies.  Add what ever sweet snacks you're using and break them up the same way, if needed.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the melted butter with the two sugars.  Mix well to combine.  Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.  Sift in the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Combine well.  Add sweet and salty snacks and combine well.

Drop rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edges are browned.  Cool on wire racks.

2 comments:

  1. And I was just thinking I had to make cookies tomorrow and what should I make. I know what I'll make - THESE! Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.. this does include everything but the kitchen sink, and I can see where you can get different results each time. I love salty and sweet. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete