01 09 10

search you little tarte

Friday, June 21, 2013

A Tisket, A Tasket... It's the CSA Basket

For the past couple of summers, I've thought about joining a CSA.  But that's just the problem.  Thought never turned into doing, so I sat on the sidelines while everyone was cooking up vats of ratatouille from their CSA baskets.

This summer, in a truly remarkable move, I actually stopped thinking about joining a CSA, and actually joined not one, but two.

I didn't set out to join two CSA's.  I signed up for one and ended up on the waiting list.  Fearing that I wouldn't actually end up getting off the alternate list, I signed up for a second one.  Then, after I had already gotten my first basket from the replacement CSA, I got an email from the first guys.

If one CSA is good, doesn't it follow that two CSA's are even better?

No.  Not so much.

I am being overtaken by kale and zucchini.   I have more salad greens than I will ever make salads.  This is complete vegetable overload.

One the flip side, vegetables are good for you, and we should probably eat more of them.  Maybe we could do a Meatless Monday.  Maybe we could eat salad for breakfast.  Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I'm trying to embrace abundance.  I am learning to love kale and dandelion greens.  There are lots of things you can do with zucchini, and I'm working it.  I'm cooking outside my cooking comfort zone.  This could actually be a good thing.

I am, however, living in fear of tomato season.  I suspect that there may well be quite a lot of ratatouille in my future.
 


CSA Overload Beans and Greens

Ingredients:

1 large bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 medium onion, small dice
1 pound chicken andouille sausage, cut on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup chicken stock
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

In a large saute pan, with a tight fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add sausage and saute until it's warmed through.  Add onions, garlic, and shallot, and saute until soft.  Add the kale and tomatoes to the pan, and saute lightly.

Increase the heat to high and add the chicken stock.  Deglaze the pan.  Immediately reduce heat to medium and cover pan with the lid.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and the tomatoes have softened.  Add the cannellini beans and saute another minute until the beans are heated through.  Season well with salt and pepper.

Pour into a large serving bowl and serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment