01 09 10

search you little tarte

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

More Than Just Jello

A week or two ago I was reading the food section in The New York Times.  There was a great article about Mormon cuisine that caught my attention.

Frankly, I had no idea that the Mormon's actually had a cuisine.  I have to admit, when I think of Mormon cooking, I think of Jello and bunkers filled with non-perishables.   Who knew that there's a whole new generation of Mormon cooks who have taken some of the classic Sunday-after-church recipes and updated them.   Some of these recipes are pretty appealing in a comfort foodie kind of way.  Who knew?

In the article there was a recipe for the unfortunately named Funeral Potatoes.  After I got past the name, which is a little unappealing if you ask me, I saw that these potatoes definitely had potential.  First they would need a little overhaul.  There is no food in the world that needs both a cup and a half of sour cream and two and a half cups of cheese for six servings.  And that's a real statement coming from me.

So, I played around with Funeral Potatoes and came up with my version, which is a tad more shall we say, figure friendly.  It's certainly not low cal, but at least it won't kill you.

I haven't come up with a name for my version of Funeral Potatoes but maybe you can.  Email me at youlittletarte@gmail.com with suggestions.

Recipe:  Unnamed Potatoes
(Adapted from The New York Times, 1/25/12 and ourbestbites.com)

Ingredients:


2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup gruyere cheese, divided
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375.

Cut potatoes into like size pieces and put in a large pot.  Cover to potatoes with cold water and then bring to a boil over high heat.  Cook until potatoes are tender.  Drain.

Using a ricer, rice the cooked potatoes into a large bowl.   Add the sour cream, chives, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the gruyere.  Combine well.

Spray a 8 inch square casserole dish with cooking spray.  Transfer the potato mixture to the casserole dish.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.  Top with chopped parsley.



No comments:

Post a Comment