01 09 10

search you little tarte

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Roast On

I'm in a slump.  You would think that with the changing of the season I would be more enthusiastic about putting something interesting on the table.  Unfortunately, I'm just not in the mood.  Well, you know how "they" say that if you put a smile on your face you'll be happy?  Well, perhaps if I think I'm excited about making dinner maybe I will be.  And btw... who are "they" anyway.

In an effort to put myself in the cooking mood I sought refuge in the refrigerator today.  I took stock of what we had in there and came across a couple of bunches of really nice broccoli.  I am not a broccoli lover but it's good for you so I eat it.  Of course, I would love broccoli if it was smothered in cheese sauce but that would pretty much take away any health benefits.

Anyway, I was thinking about interesting preparations for broccoli that took it up a notch from just steaming it.  How about roasted broccoli drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then tossed with a hand full of toasted pine nuts?   I toasted the pine nuts on the stove while the broccoli was roasting and then tossed the nuts and the broccoli together along with a little lemon zest to brighten up the flavors.  The end result was delicious and took just minutes.

My little roasted broccoli experience was so successful that I'm feeling like my slump might be lifting.  Who knew broccoli could be responsible for that!

Recipe:  Oven Roasted Broccoli


Ingredients:


1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 lemon, zested
1/4 cup pine nuts
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:


Preheat the oven to 400.

On a large sheet pan, toss the broccoli florets with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Season liberally with salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender.

While the broccoli is roasting, toast the pine nuts over medium heat in a dry skillet.  Set aside.

Toss the broccoli with pine nuts and sprinkle with the lemon zest.  Adjust the seasonings and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment