01 09 10

search you little tarte

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spring Cleaning 1

Well, today it was 45 degrees and spring is in the air.  Sort of.  I have banished my coats to the back of the closet in favor of cardigan sweaters.  I am wearing chic little flats without socks.  I'm not going to say that I was warm and toasty all day because in truth, I was a little chilly.  But I'm an optimist.

Back when I lived in Los Angeles, land of sunshine and palm trees, 45 degrees would have meant a turtleneck sweater and a jacket.  But now that I have endured nine winters here in Pittsburgh, 45 seems pretty nice for March 2nd.

So, as we approach spring, it's getting to be time for spring cleaning.  Since I'm not quite ready to tackle my closet, I started with my kitchen freezer.  I hadn't come up with anything interesting for dinner so I dug around to see what was hidden in there.  I hit the jackpot when I came across a beef tenderloin.  Who just has a beef tenderloin hanging around?  Dinner is served, baby.

Further investigation in the refrigerator revealed a pound of mixed wild mushrooms.  This was shaping up to be quite a little feast.  A bag of baby yukon gold potatoes from the pantry and I was cooking with gas, literally.

I think my first foray into spring cleaning was pretty successful.  Maybe when I tackle my closet I'll come up with some forgotten treasures.  Or, even better, maybe I'll come up with an excuse to go out and buy something new.

Recipe:  Beef Tenderloin
(Adapted from Williams Sonoma)

1 beef tenderloin, 3 pounds, tied
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for searing
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425.

Whisk together the mustard, olive oil, and thyme.  Set aside.   Pat the tenderloin dry and season generously with salt.  In a large skillet, heat enough olive oil to coat the pan.  When oil is very hot, sear the meat on all sides and on the ends, about 2-3 minutes on each side.   Transfer to a cutting board and brush with the mustard mixture.  Place in a roasting pan.

Roast the meat for 20-30 minutes, until a meat thermometer reads 125-130 degrees.  Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve with sauteed mushrooms (below).

Sauteed Wild Mushrooms

See blog dated 2/21/11 Born to be Wild (Mushrooms)

No comments:

Post a Comment